In the recent days, there have been many scams targeted towards H-1B people. Here is One more incident reported by H1B wiki visitor on our facebook fan page.
“Today a new incident happened. This year my H1B application was not picked in the lottery. Today morning, I got a call from New Jersey which they claim was USCIS verification department. She had every info about my H1B application and she said government is looking out for foreign nationals who where not selected in the lottery to give the H1 approval and the people from Caifornia Center will come to your house to verify and if all correct they will give visa approval then and there itself.
I was almost fooled by their fraud call, but later it drew my attention when she said, the H1b fee is being returned to your employe,r so I need to pay for it and so I need to go to nearest CVS and get moneypak cards and give it to the people when they come home to verify. I knew this was a fraud and I just hang up the phone. No more calls received.
I am sharing this, as there are many people who are in this tensed mode of not having a H1B, people out they are exploiting this situation and trying to make money out of it. Just to make sure every one is aware of my case, so all will be careful in future.”
Santa Clara, CA USA
If you are interested in getting updates like this, Like us on Facebook below.
Here are few more scams reported on H1B wiki before.
Tips on avoiding these Scams:
- USCIS will never call you to pay any kind of fees.
- Many fraudsters are using the Moneypak cards to do these type of scams. So, if someone calls you and ask you to send money through Moneypak, Don`t do it. Report the incident to the cops.
- Avoid giving your personal information on less reliable websites. Many incidents are reported when they used discount services like http://www.halfmovietix.com/. Some incidents occured when they posted the resumes on Job Portals.
- Do not give any of your personal information, like your SSN, credit card details, etc on Phone.
- Do not continuously converse with the caller. They may threaten you not to drop the call.
- Ask Additional Information before deciding.